The Not So Joyous Cold and Flu Season
The holiday parties have already begun. Extended family this weekend, immediate family next weekend. Friends on Tuesday, co-workers on Thursday. Plus church things and school things and neighborhood things. And lots of shopping. There’ll be baked brie and bacon-wrapped dates. Candy cane cocoa and spiced apple cider. Packages and stockings and Christmas charades. And there’ll be illness…?
Hold it right there. All that hugging and holding and holiday cheer can make people sick? It can. And according to some doctors, they treat more cases of strep throat, respiratory infections, and cases of cold and flu during the holidays than any other time of year, which is not good for holiday cheer.
But succumbing to cold and flu season can be prevented with a few helpful hints:
- Get a flu shot. Sooner rather than later. The flu vaccine usually takes about two weeks to become fully effective, which means there’s still time to take preventative measures.
- Wash your hands. That’s the number one way to prevent illness. Especially if you’re traveling extensively through airports, train stations, and the like.
- Be careful with your diet. Have a cookie here and there, but don’t overindulge. Sugar can be an immune system suppressor. And make sure you eat your fruits and veggies.
- Sleep. Despite the busyness. And make your kids sleep too. It’s one of the best ways to combat illness. Dr. Partha Nandi says that “those who get eight hours of sleep are less likely to get a cold than those who snooze seven hours or less.”
- If you’re sick, stay home. Avoid crowded areas and especially individuals who are more susceptible to illness (babies, the elderly, etc.).
And if you’re golf club, athletic club, restaurant or event venue hosting holiday parties (or any party for that matter)? Consider Surface Shield as a holiday gift to your guests. Surface Shield is safe, non toxic, non-leaching, and harmless to both humans and animals. It also gets surfaces clean – and keeps them clean – for up to 90 days. Goodbye germs that make for a not-so-jolly holiday!
Check out our website for more information, testimonials, and start protecting your surfaces.
Tags: anti-microbials, antimicrobial, Athletic Club, cold and flu season, deep cleaning, germ, germs, michigan, prevention, public places, skin infections, strep throat, surface shield, surface shield llc